CNC fines 5 marine transport companies for cartelizing Balearic Islands lines
Feb 27, 2012
The Comision Nacional de la Competencia has imposed fines on maritime transport companies for participating in a cartel for Balearic Islands passenger and cargo transport lines. Between 2011 and 2010, the cartel had fixed trading and service terms, including pricing, to control production and allocate the maritime transport market on routes between the Balearic Islands and the Spanish mainland. The fines total more than 54 million euros, with the following breakdown:
- €36,110,800 on Compañía Trasmediterránea, S.A.
- €15,945,484 on Balearia Eurolíneas Marítimas, S.A.
- €495,826 on Isleña Marítima de Contenedores, S.A.
- €1,155,205 on Servicios y Concesiones Marítimas Ibicencas, S.A. (Sercomisa)
- €402,453 on Mediterránea Pitiusa, S.L.