Home Authors Posts by Joe Murphy
For 40 years Joe Murphy, CCEP, has been a tireless champion of compliance and ethics.
- Senior advisor, Compliance Strategists, a consulting firm doing compliance work on a global scale.
- Named one of The National Law Journal’s 50 Governance, Risk and Compliance Trailblazers and Pioneers 2014.
- Director of Public Policy, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (pro bono)
- Editor in Chief, SCCE’s Compliance and Ethics Professional.
- With Jay Sigler wrote the first book on compliance programs, Interactive Corporate Compliance, 3 years before the Sentencing Guidelines were issued
- With Jeff Kaplan and Win Swenson wrote the leading legal text on compliance programs, Compliance Programs and the Corporate Sentencing Guidelines
- Author of 501 Ideas for Your Compliance & Ethics Program(SCCE; 2008) and co-author of Building a Career in Compliance and Ethics (SCCE; 2007).
- Wrote two of the leading SCCE white papers, “A Compliance & Ethics Program on Dollar a Day,” http://tinyurl.com/qxqeugaand “Using Incentives in Your Compliance & Ethics Program” http://tinyurl.com/heaw3sl .
- Wrote Policies in conflict: Undermining corporate self-policing, 69 Rutgers U.L. Rev. 421 (Winter 2017).
- Chair, Advisory Board, Rutgers Center for Government Compliance and Ethics
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP).
- Recipient of the SCCE’s Compliance& Ethics Award.
- Former board member, Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics
- Co-author, HCCA and SCCE Codes of Ethics
- Co-founder of one of the world’s top online compliance training firms, Integrity Interactive (now part of SAI Global).
- Co-chair of the first PLI Compliance and Advanced Compliance seminars.
- Wrote one of the first articles on the self-evaluative privilege (1982), was cited in judicial opinions, and testified on this topic before the Sentencing Commission’s Ad Hoc Advisory Committee
- Member, Advisory Board, Compliance & Ethics Committee, ABA Antitrust Section.
- Has done compliance work on 6 continents
- Presentations for government agencies including the US Sentencing Commission, OSHA, NY OSH, OECD review team, Australian Consumer & Competition Commission staff, DOJ National Advocacy Center, SEC FCPA “Bootcamp,” and the Australian Tax Office
- Published over 100 articles and given over 200 presentations
- Quoted in the Wall Street Journal, National Law Journal, ABA Journal, CNBC, Compliance News (Australia) and numerous other publications.
- 20 years in-house practical compliance experience, including designing a compliance program for a global telecommunications company in 1991.
- Penn Law School, Order of the Coif, Managing Editor of the Law Review
- In his spare time, founder of the Society of Dancing Compliance & Ethics Professionals and ballroom dance enthusiast.