This three session course discusses Network Industries:
Networks have frequently been at the heart of the great regulated industries of the day. This was true of railroads and telegraphs and is just as true of today’s natural gas industry, the electricity industry and telecommunications. The modern treatment of network industries focuses on approaches to regulating natural monopolies. Many of these industries are organized around physical networks, while others turn on platform competition and virtual networks.
This course will serve as an introduction to the law and economics of these industries. It will be based on the full-quarter course that Prof. Picker teaches at the University of Chicago Law School
Each class will be approximately one hour with time available for questions and answers.Each class will begin at 12:00 PM U.S. Eastern Standard Time. The only technology required for attending is a computer with internet access and a phone.
To view all three sessions of this class, view here.
Written Materials for Network Industries
- Economides, Nicholas , Competition Policy in Network Industries: An Introduction, (June 2004), NET Institute Working Paper No. 04-24, NYU, Center for Law and Business, Research Paper No. 03-10. Electronic version available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=386626 or doi:10.2139/ssrn.386626.
- Smyth v. Ames, 169 U.S. 466 (1898). Electronic version available at http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=17195331040165028411&hl=en&as_sat=2002.
- AT&T Corp v. Iowa Utilities Board, 525 U.S. 366 (1999). Electronic version available at http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=11163947826570654904&q=525+U.S.+366&hl=en&as_sdt=2002.
- Lichtman, Douglas Gary and Picker, Randal C., Entry Policy in Local Telecommunications: Iowa Utilities and Verizon, (January 2003), University of Chicago Law & Economics, Olin Working Paper No. 178. Electronic version available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=368040 or doi:10.2139/ssrn.368040
- United States v. Terminal Railroad Ass's of St. Louis, 224 U.S. 383 (1912). Electronic version available at http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=12495123161851599644&q=224+U.S.+383&hl=en&as_sdt=2002.
- Network Neutrality Policy Statement, FCC 05-151 (FCC September 23, 2005). Electronic version available at http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-151A1.pdf.
- Press Release on Free and Open Internet (FCC October 22, 2009). Electronic version available at http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2009/db1022/DOC-294159A1.pdf.
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Preserving the Open Internet, (FCC October 22, 2009). Electronic version available at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-09-93A1.pdf.