A PYMNTS Company

Spain: Liberbank-Unicaja face challenges in merger proposal

 |  January 7, 2019

Spanish banks Unicaja Banco and Liberbank face a key month to determine their future participation in the group that will result from the merger proposal presented towards the end of last year, since it is not clear that the company from Malaga will in fact get 60% of what would be a new financial giant, the 6th largest in the country.

During the process it was assumed that Unicaja Banco would get a 60% stake and Liberbank the remaining 40%. However, this distribution is still to be determined since the weight of Unicaja Banco could be reduced to between 55% and 57%.

The merger, in principle, would be carried out without resorting to a capital increase, since the resulting group could take advantage of the synergies it generates and the release of capital to meet the restructuring expenses.

Full Content: El Digital Castilla A La Mancha

Want more news? Subscribe to CPI’s free daily newsletter for more headlines and updates on antitrust developments around the world.